• wedding ceremonies lasts around 30 min without holy mass or around 60 min with holy mass
• ceremonies are in English
• at least one of you must be baptised Roman-catholic
• available dates – any day, latest at 4.00 p.m.
• capacity of approx. 150 people
The Church of Mother of God before Týn (in Czech Kostel Matky Bozi pred Tynem, also Tynsky chram), often translated as Church of Our Lady before Tyn, is a dominant feature of the Old Town of Prague, and has been the main church of this part of the city since the 14th century. The church’s towers are 80 m high and topped by four small spires.
In the 11th century, this area was occupied by a Romanesque church, which was built there for foreign merchants coming to the nearby Tyn Courtyard. Later it was replaced by an early Gothic Church of Our Lady before Týn in 1256. The church was controlled by Hussites for two centuries. The roof was completed in the 1450s, while the gable and northern tower were completed shortly thereafter during the reign of George of Podebrady.
After the lost Battle of White Mountian (1620) began the era of harsh recatholicisation. In 1679 the church was struck by lightning, and the subsequent fire heavily damaged the old vault, which was later replaced by a lower baroque vault.
Renovation works carried out in 1876–1895 were later reversed during extensive exterior renovation works in the years 1973–1995.
The early baroque altarpiece has paintings by Karel Skreta from around 1649. The oldest pipe organ in Prague stands inside this church. The organ was built in 1673 by Heinrich Mundt and is one of the most representative 17th-century organs in Europe.